Who are we?
The Society of Physics Students is a national organization sponsored by the American Institute of Physics. The University of Virginia chapter consists of about 25 undergraduate physics majors, other science majors, and engineering students.
Every Friday at 1pm, SPS hosts meetings featuring:
- Guest lecturers from across the country presenting cutting-edge research
- Laboratory tours
- Oscilliscope enrichment sessions
- Graduate school admission panels
- Research opportunity seminars
SPS: Gage DeZoort (President), Tanner Rase (Vice President), Steven Stetzler (Treasurer), Andrew Coffee (Secretary)
Sigma: Eric Culbertson
(President), Adam Antoszewski (Vice President)
Disclaimer: Although this organization has members who are University of Virginia students and may have University employees associated or engaged in its activities and affairs, the organization is not apart of or an agency of the University. It is a separate and independent organization which is responsible for and manages its own activities and affairs. The University does not direct, supervise or control the organization and is not responsible for the organization's contracts, acts or omissions.
Sigma Pi Sigma Research Symposium Winners Announced!
- 1st place: Adam Antoszewski
- 2nd place: Avery Bailey
- 3rd place: Hannah Kessenich and Eric Culbertson
- 1st place: Yongyi Wu
- 2nd place: Rob Mina
Sigma Pi Sigma Research Symposium Schedule and Talk Titles Released
12:05 - Adam Trapp: High Redshift Obscured Quasars
12:17 - Yash Shevde: Simulation of Beam Heating in the Frozen Spin Target at the Mainz Microtron
12:30 - Eric Culbertson: The NOvA Upward-Going Muon Trigger
12:42 - Adam Antoszewski: Creation and Testing of the Simulation Basis for Neutron Polarimetry at HIGS
12:55 - Hannah Kessenich: Studies of Cosmic Ray Veto Detectors
1:07 - Emily Cubbage: Fabrication of Au Nanowires Using Directed Electrochemical Nanowire Assembly
1:20 - Avery Bailey: A Modified Gadget2 Code for Early Universe Dark Matter Simulations
1:32 - Victoria Gabriele: Mean-Field Description of Topological Charge 4e Superconductors
Don't Miss The Sigma Pi Sigma Research Symposium on October 9th!
Come see your peers
present their research and
posters in the Newcomb South
Meeting Room from 12-3. The
event will be catered, and
cash prizes will be awarded to
the best presenters and
Lear about past symposium here
UVa SPS Earns "Distinguished" Status:
The UVA Society of Physics Students chapter
was recently (2013/2014 AY and 2012/2013 AY) recognized as "distinguished,"" signifying that our chapter
is in the top 20% of the chapters in the country. The 2015
announcement email is here, and the letter of
congratulations 2014 can be seen here.
Our 2015 annual report is here, our 2014 annual report is here, and our 2013 annual report is here
Want to do some research?
Faculty Members with Available Research Projects:
- Joe Poon (Experimental Condensed Matter Physics)
- Stefan Baessler (Nuclear Physics and Gravitation)
- Dinko Pocanic (Experimental Nuclear and Particle Physics)
- Blaine Norum (Experimental Nuclear and Particle Physics)
- Krishni Wijesooriya (Radiological Physics, Radiation Oncology)
- Donal Day (Experimental Nuclear and Particle Physics)
- Bob Jones (Experimental Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Physics, and Experimental Chemical Physics)
- Don Crabb (Experimental Nuclear and Particle Physics)
- Mark Williams (Radiology and Medical Imaging)
- Craig Group (Experimental High Energy Physics)
- Despina Louca (Experimental Condensed Matter Physics)
- Kevin Lehmann (Ultrasensitive Spectroscopy)
- Craig Dukes (Experimental High Energy Physics)
- Kent Paschke (Experimental Nuclear and Particle Physics)
- Olivier Pfister (Quantum Computing)
- Jeffrey Teo (Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics): Interested in offering a research program for an undergraduate this summer
- Brad Cox (Experimental High Energy Physics)
- Marija Vucelja (Statistical Physics)
Recent SULI Nuclear and High Energy Physics Opportunity Released!
- Click here to view Professor Baessler's memo about the new opportunity
Learn about DAAD funding for study abroad in Germany
Just released- K-State Summer Research Opportunity!
- Click here to view the opportunity
Considering Graduate School?
Need help with coursework?
The Feynman Lectures: mechanics, radiation, heat, electromagnetism, matter, quantum mechanics
Michael Fowler's Notes: Galileo and Einstein, Modern Physics, Graduate Quantum Mechanics, gravity, fluids, waves, heat, misc. introductory physics topics
MIT Open Courseware: most MIT physics courses with lecture videos, worksheets, lecture notes
Paul's Online Math Notes: full course notes in calculus and differential equations
SPS President Gage DeZoort: jgd5ur(at)virginia(dot)edu
Sigma Pi Sigma President Eric Culbertson: emc5ud(at)virginia(dot)edu