Who are we?
The Society of Physics Students is a national organization sponsored by the American Institute of Physics. The University of Virginia chapter consists of about 25 undergraduate physics majors, other science majors, and engineering students.
Every Friday at 1pm, SPS hosts meetings featuring:
- Guest lecturers from across the country presenting cutting-edge research
- Laboratory tours
- Oscilliscope enrichment sessions
- Graduate school admission panels
- Research opportunity seminars
SPS: Gage DeZoort (President), Tanner Rase (Vice President), Steven Stetzler (Treasurer), Andrew Coffee (Secretary)
Sigma: Eric Culbertson
(President), Adam Antoszewski (Vice President)
Disclaimer: Although this organization has members who are University of Virginia students and may have University employees associated or engaged in its activities and affairs, the organization is not apart of or an agency of the University. It is a separate and independent organization which is responsible for and manages its own activities and affairs. The University does not direct, supervise or control the organization and is not responsible for the organization's contracts, acts or omissions.
UVa SPS Earns "Outstanding" Status:
The UVA Society of Physics
Students chapter been
recognized as "outstanding"
signifiying that our chapter
is in the to 10% of chapters
in the World. See the letter of
congratulations and the
for more details.
In past years (2014/2015 AY, 2013/2014 AY, and 2012/2013 AY) we were recognized as "distinguished", signifying that our chapter
is in the top 20% of the chapters in the country. The 2015
announcement email is here, and the letter of
congratulations 2014 can be seen here.
Our 2016 annual report is here, 2015 annual report is here, our 2014 annual report is here, and our 2013 annual report is here
Annual Sigma Pi
Sigma Research Symposium was held on
We would like to
congratulate the following students for their outstanding performance:
- 1st place: Jesse Han
- 2nd place: Arvind Gupta and Xueyuan She
12:10 Josh Pond: Distinguishing Ion Pair Structures using Pulse Radiolysis and Time-Resolved Spectroscopy
12:25 Jiwon Han: A New Strangeness Fit to World Parity-Violating Electron Scattering Data
12:40 Arvind Gupta: The Distance to the Core of the Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy from the Mid-Infrared Period-
Luminosity Relation for RR Lyrae Variable Stars
12:55 Ben Gilbert: A Study on the Coffee Spilling Phenomena in the Low Impulse Regime
1:10 Gage DeZoort: Anomalous Signal Reduction in the CMS ECAL Trigger
1:25 John Hack: Distinguishing Ion Pair Structures using Pulse Radiolysis and Time-Resolved Spectroscopy
1:40 Xueyuan She: Spin torque nano-oscillator achieved with point contact current injection
2:00 Posters: Yash Shevde, Tyler Lam, Steven Stetzler, Nina Mazzarelli, Brian Seymore, Chloe Downs.
- 1st place: Brian Seymour
- 2nd place: Steven Stetzler
--> Special thanks to the faculty judges! Norum, Chern, Chevalier, and Arnold
Learn about past symposium here .
Want to do some research?
Members with Available
Research Projects at UVa:
Condensed Matter Physics
- Joe Poon (Experimental Condensed Matter Physics)
- Gia-Wei Chern
(Theoretical or computational condensed matter physics)
- Bellave Shivaram
(Experimental and Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics and Experimental Chemical Physics)
- Despina Louca (Experimental Condensed Matter Physics)
- Jeffrey Teo (Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics): Interested in offering a research program for an undergraduate this summer
- Nilanga Liyanage
(Experimental Nuclear and Particle Physics)
- Stefan Baessler (Nuclear Physics and Gravitation)
- Dinko Pocanic (Experimental Nuclear and Particle Physics)
- Blaine Norum (Experimental Nuclear and Particle Physics)
- Donal Day (Experimental Nuclear and Particle Physics)
- Don Crabb (Experimental Nuclear and Particle Physics)
- Kent Paschke
(Experimental Nuclear and
High Energy Physics
- Craig Group (Experimental High Energy Physics)
- Craig Dukes
(Experimental High Energy
- Brad Cox
(Experimental High Energy
Atomic, Molecular, and Optical
- Bob Jones (Experimental Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Physics, and Experimental Chemical Physics)
- Marija Vucelja (Statistical Physics)
- Krishni Wijesooriya (Radiological Physics, Radiation Oncology)
- Mark Williams (Radiology and Medical Imaging)
- Kevin Lehmann (Ultrasensitive Spectroscopy)
Recent SULI Nuclear and High Energy Physics Opportunity Released!
- Click here to view Professor Baessler's memo about the new opportunity
Learn about DAAD funding for study abroad in Germany
Just released- K-State Summer Research Opportunity!
- Click here to view the opportunity
Considering Graduate School?
Need help with coursework?
The Feynman Lectures: mechanics, radiation, heat, electromagnetism, matter, quantum mechanics
Michael Fowler's Notes: Galileo and Einstein, Modern Physics, Graduate Quantum Mechanics, gravity, fluids, waves, heat, misc. introductory physics topics
MIT Open Courseware: most MIT physics courses with lecture videos, worksheets, lecture notes
Paul's Online Math Notes: full course notes in calculus and differential equations
SPS President Gage DeZoort: jgd5ur(at)virginia(dot)edu
Sigma Pi Sigma President Eric Culbertson: emc5ud(at)virginia(dot)edu